We completely understand how confusing and time consuming could be reading for all goal setting models. We prepared this 10 Golden Rules to make things easy for you.
1. If it is challenging for you to set a goal go write a list with:
- All that you want to be
- All that you want to have
- All that you want to do
2. Set a specific goal – when you set a goal try to be as specific as possible.
For example if your goal is to lose weight:
The wrong way: to lose weight
The right way: to lose 10kg till July 20th, 2022
3. Set the goal in a positive way.
Our brain doesn’t understand the meaning of “No”. For example if we want to eat less junk food:
The wrong way is: I will Not buy junk food
The right way could be: I will buy more healthy food.
4. Set a goal that is challenging for you.
But be careful! The goal should be difficult but achievable. If we use the example of loosing 10kg till July 20th, 2022 how achievable and challenging this goal is depends on our starting date. If we start on February 20th, 2021 is not a big challenge but is ok. If we start on May 20th, 2022 the challenge is bigger but it is achievable. If we start on June 20th, 2021 the challenge will be very serious but still achievable. But if we start on July 10th it’s impossible to be achieved in most of the cases.
5. The goals need to be measurable.
You need to know how you will know that your goal is achieved. If we use the example with weight loss – the goal is measured in kilograms. We will know that the goal is achieved once we lose 10kg by July 20th, 2022.
6. The goals need to be defined in time – that is why it is very important to have an end date. To know when exactly is the end date for the goal to be achieved.
7. The goals need to be action orientated – that is why it is important to have a starting date and time. When you have a start day and time you are ready to take action at that time. You are ready to take the first step towards your goal.
8. Go through your goals every day
9. Create small steps to the goal. Define milestones which will bring you closer. If we use our goal to lose weight some milestones could be:
- Eat up to 1600kcal per day
- Start exercising two times per week
- Start eating more healthy food
- Start cooking
…. and etc.
10. Get ready! There will be tough moments in the way of achieving your goal. It is better to be ready for the challenges ahead. Once you expect that the could appear you will be ready to face them and deal with them. And the opposite, If you think that everything will be easy, it is most likely to fail, once you face difficulties.
Think for the next step that you need to take to get closer to your goal – what can stops you of doing it, what kind of obstacles could occur? How can you overcome them?
A goal without a plan is just a wish
Antoan de Sent-Egziperi